The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) is a U.S. statute that requires Federal agencies to evaluate the potential environmental effects of their proposed actions, and inform and involve the public prior to making decisions. NEPA applies to a Federal agency’s decisions and actions, including the approval of proposed projects like Spaceport Camden.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has prepared the Spaceport Camden Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to satisfy their environmental review requirements under NEPA. The Draft EIS is an independent evaluation that includes:
- Why the project is being proposed (Purpose and Need)
- A description of the project (Proposed Action)
- Ways other than the project that meet the Purpose and Need (Alternatives)
- A description of the existing conditions in the study area (Affected Environment)
- An evaluation of the potential environmental impacts and measures to avoid, minimize, or mitigate them (Environmental Consequences)
Through NEPA, you can be involved in the decision-making process by offering your thoughts on the Spaceport Camden project and analysis of potential impacts in the Draft EIS. Your input is the most important contribution you can make to the environmental review process.
To make the most of your comments, make them clear, concise, and as specific as possible. Organize your participation so that it is meaningful and makes the FAA aware of your interests and concerns. When possible, reference specific text in the Draft EIS. Comments on the Draft EIS will be considered in the FAA’s decision-making process and incorporated into the Final EIS.
The Draft EIS is available for public review and comment through May 16, 2018.
- Copies of the Draft EIS can be reviewed at the Camden County Public Library, St Mary’s Public Library, the Brunswick-Glynn County Library, and the St. Simons Island Public Library.
- An electronic version of the Draft EIS is also available on the FAA Office of Commercial Space Transportation website at: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/environmental/nepa_docs/review/documents_progress/camden_spaceport/
- Comments can be mailed to Ms. Stacey M. Zee, Environmental Specialist, Federal Aviation Administration, c/o Leidos, 2109 Air Park Road SE, Suite 200, Albuquerque, NM 87106. Comments can also be sent by email to FAACamdenSpaceportEIS@Leidos.com.
Additionally, the FAA will hold two public hearings in Camden County to help residents and interested parties learn about the findings from the Draft EIS and to receive comments on the Draft EIS. The public hearings are scheduled for April 11 and April 12 from 5:30 to 8:30 PM at the Camden County Public Service Authority Recreation Center. The public hearings will include an open house and poster session, FAA presentation, and formal public comment period.
After issuance of the Spaceport Camden Final EIS, the FAA will prepare a Record of Decision (ROD), which explains the FAA’s decision regarding the environmental review, which is one of four components of the FAA’s license application process. While the ROD completes the environmental review process, it does not represent an FAA decision to issue a license for Spaceport Camden.
If you have questions about Spaceport Camden visit www.spaceportcamden.us. If you have questions about the FAA’s environmental review process or comments on the Draft EIS, contact Stacey Zee, the FAA project lead.